Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums  

Go Back   Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums > KAMR Talk > Technical Q & A
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Billy Send a message via MSN to Billy Send a message via Yahoo to Billy
Cornerstone Roundhouse - N Scale

Also, anyone put one of these together? Apparently I'm suppose to install the rails.. I'm using Code 55 on my layout, will that work okay for this? Would code 80 be better? (The turntable has code 80) What's the best way to secure the track? What's the best way to feed this track with power? Should I go ahead and extended the track with ties attached on the outside of the roundhouse for the 1 15/16" spacing requirements for going to the turntable?

Thanks, Billy
Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 PM

Re: Cornerstone Roundhouse - N Scale

Billy-

I used one of the turntables, but not the roundhouse. I changed the code 80 rail to code 55. There are two wires that solder to each rail. If you unsolder each of these, the rail slides right out of the spikes. Sliding in new rails, you can solder the wires back to the rails. I admit, this was pretty nerve-wracking, but it let me use code 55 for everything. You could also just shim the approach rails with some cardstock so the top of the rails line up.

I think there is a PDF on Walther's site on installing the bridge and roundhouse.

Hope this helps, but ask any particular questions you may have, and I'll try to get Bruce to answer them!

-Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Also, anyone put one of these together? Apparently I'm suppose to install the rails.. I'm using Code 55 on my layout, will that work okay for this? Would code 80 be better? (The turntable has code 80) What's the best way to secure the track? What's the best way to feed this track with power? Should I go ahead and extended the track with ties attached on the outside of the roundhouse for the 1 15/16" spacing requirements for going to the turntable?

Thanks, Billy
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Billy Send a message via MSN to Billy Send a message via Yahoo to Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brooks
Billy-

I used one of the turntables, but not the roundhouse. I changed the code 80 rail to code 55. There are two wires that solder to each rail. If you unsolder each of these, the rail slides right out of the spikes. Sliding in new rails, you can solder the wires back to the rails. I admit, this was pretty nerve-wracking, but it let me use code 55 for everything. You could also just shim the approach rails with some cardstock so the top of the rails line up.

I think there is a PDF on Walther's site on installing the bridge and roundhouse.

Hope this helps, but ask any particular questions you may have, and I'll try to get Bruce to answer them!

-Phil

I started building the round house, and went ahead and used code 55 for the tracks, extending them on out of the round house about 2 1/2 inches or so.. Used CA glue to hold them in. I'll cut them back as need when I mount it with the turntable. Cool tip on replacing the code 80 rails with code 55, I may do that. It'll be a while before I'm ready to do that though, I wasn't ready for the round houses, but, couldn't resist, 50% of the 3 style, and a 3 style add on at Hobby Town!! Then, I couldn't resist the urge to start putting it together!

Thanks, Billy
Old 03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Hey I think Phil picked on me! I think he impied that I might know everything. Wait a minute, I think that's a true statement! Although if I know everything then there's nothing left for others to think of to question my knowledge right?

As for specifics on a turntable install I have know experiences to add on this topic. But I'll bet it'll be a fun project.