Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums  

Go Back   Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums > KAMR Talk > Large Scale Division
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 03:04 PM

7.5in SRR Ps-4 4-6-2 rebuild

Here are some pictures of a good freind's 7.5 in guage SRR Ps-4 4-6-2 being rebuilt.
He bought 6 new bearings for drive wheel axles, and re pressed wheels onto axles. Made new stainless steel grates. Installed new 3 way exhausting valve for cyl cock control. All side rod and valve linkage being chrome plated. Made 4 new bronze bushings and bought new bearings for side rods, main rods, valve linkage.
Thought you might like these pictures...
- Andrew
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Re: 7.5in SRR Ps-4 4-6-2 rebuild

Great shots! Do you know the approximate weight of this beauty?

Reminds me of pictures I viewed of the SP&S 700 4-8-4. Maintenance on steam engines is very similar regardless of prototype or scale.

I think Charlie Womac needs one of these for his Southern stable!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 PM

Bruce,
This locomotive was built using Little Engines Pacific castings. This is their website www.littleengines.com The locomotive pictured has a bigger boiler, hodges instead of delta trailing truck and MANY detail changes that make is much different than the Little Engines Pacific. The Little Engines pacific is based on Southern Pacific RR P-4/5 class locomotives, they were relatively light 4-6-2s, the Ps-4 is a very large 4-6-2.
Castings for the basic Little Engines 4-6-2 run about $8000, boiler is another $3000 plus all maching,etc and assesories.
The Ps-4 pictured weighs about 800lbs engine only. Tender is probably another 200lbs. Loco and tender are about 12ft long..... I have ran this locomtive many times and it really has a lot of power I have seen 8 freight cars and 3 heavy weight pullman cars behind it on a 4.5% grade at the Mid South live steamers.
I think you and Charlie both could use a 7.5 in gauge loco. I'm sure you wouldn't mind a GN S-2, or a SP&S 4-8-4.....
- Andrew
Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Administrator

A GN S-2 would be nice but my stable is just a tad too full at this time. Although my SP&S 700 4-8-4 has somehow been permanently loaned ever since I found this picture, I probably should squeeze in another unit.

Was that a pig that just flew by?
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM

Bruce,
Nice picture. You could probably have one built in the $50,000 range......
check out www.discoverlivesteam.com go to ' FOR SALE' page. They have a lot of locomotive both steam, electric, diesel for sale.
Well while we are posting pictures I thought I would skip to the the biggest 7.5 in gauge I have ever seen..... a UP 4-8-8-4 Big boy, the castings ALONE for this locomtive are around $50,000..... way to expensive for me.
- Andrew
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Well here are a few more pictures of the 7.5 inch guage Ps-4 rebuild. Again this is owned by a good freind in KY, was built in 1985, weighs around 1000lbs. He has now completed the rebuild. The first picture is of the rods and valve motion after being chrome plated, the second picture is the locomotive after being put back together. The final picture was taken about a year ago at the Mid-South live steamers in Columbia, TN, before the rebuild was started- I thought I would include this pic to give you an idea of what it looks like under steam.
Thought you might like to see these pictures.
- Andrew
Attached Images