Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums  

Go Back   Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums > KAMR Talk > Technical Q & A
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb Draft KAMR Web Page

At our last club meeting I presented copies of a draft idea for a new KAMR web site 'Home Page'. I want all to have an opportunity to view my idea and so I'm posting the page here.

If you have any suggestions, comment, etc., please post your thoughts or send me an e-mail at hmcelhoe@aol.com. Don't be shy! This site can evolve into a very usefull and informative tool.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Billy Send a message via MSN to Billy Send a message via Yahoo to Billy
Re: Draft KAMR Web Page

Bruce, My wife, Tiffany, the Web-Lady, is/will be working on a new look and layour for added features for the website. With this information you've provided, I think she'll be able to produce a very nice clean looking website.. We'll then move the Bulletin Board down to a Members section.. where it can reside at. I do applogize for not being at the last meeting, I hade some major issues going on with Mail Servers and such and work.

Thanks, Billy
Old 06-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Just a thought - I would suggest a "RIP Track" section in which the coordinators could list all items of rolling stock that have been blue tagged and could be repaired by club members who would be willing to do so.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Dick,
That is a great start on the web page. I might suggest adding a " PHOTO" section, which would have pictures taken during our open houses and special events. Also a "PROJECTS" section which would describe with writing and photos the various projects that various people are working on.
Just a thought
- Andrew Cousins
Old 07-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Both of you have proposed some good ideas for web site expansion. At this time I'm working with Tiffany on an updated home page. I seem to have become a web site admin type guy by default and desire to have a useful tool for our club. We can look deeper into the details of the site once we have the basic setup in place.

What would be a big plus is for our club to be a bit more active in using this site to help get a better idea on what it is we really would use. Some folks use e-mailing as their preferred method but that can lead to the message disappearing into cyber space after a couple of weeks or so for some of us. For example, AOL will only retain 'read' messages for about two weeks then it's automatically sent to the trash can unless we save it into a personal folder. If that same message is posted on our web site it'll remain up front and available every time we open the site. You also don't need to worry about anyone changing e-mail addresses.

Some have mentioned outdated anouncements. That's where the web site admin type guy (yikes that's now me! ) will need to track those announcements and delete or archive as needed. Remember, Billy and Tiffany are there to manage the mechanics of the web site, we are responsible for it's content. I have web site moderator type access to edit, delete, and archive postings and have started performing some of the housekeeping.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Is the re-design planned in PHP or are we still using HTML? I would like to see a little more "real" looking additional logo if you plan to add. The blue picture continues to reflect a "toy train" image. Agreed that our association with CMOR is for children but our club is much more than toy trains.

Brad