Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums  

Go Back   Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums > KAMR Talk > General Talk
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to kf4jqd Send a message via Yahoo to kf4jqd
Question A good East Tennessee hobby store?

Hi Everyione:

I hoped you had a very Merry Christmas. My name is Andy. I live in Vonore. I moved to Tennessee in May of 2005 from Wisconsin. One of the few things I miss about Wisconsin is my favorit hobby store I went to all the time, The Hobby Connection (www.hobbyconnect.com). He is also a dealer with Walthers, Lionel,MTH, and other manufacutres. My question is, is there a store like that in East Tennessee? I've been to The Hobby LObby in Maryville and Knoxville. I wasn't impressed. I've been to Hobby Town in Knoxville. That was a little better, but not much. I've been to the toy store in Pgeon Fordge. That was expensive and G scale. Any ideas? I've been buying my train stuff on line since I moved. I'm in N scale by the way.

Andy
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Re: A good East Tennessee hobby store?

Welcome to East Tennessee Andy!

About the best we have around here IMHO in the Knoxville area is Hobby Town. Two things that work with that store are they are supportive of the Knoxville Area Model Railroaders club by offering a discount for all members and, they are also open to custom ordering items.

I too do most of my shopping on-line but sometimes a trip to the ole brick and mortar store is still worth it. I just returned from my home town of Seattle for Christmas but had time to visit three of my favorite (exclusively) train shops out there. There's nothing in this end of the state that can compare to what these stores offer. So it goes!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Andy,

I hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year. As President of the Knoxville Area Model Railroaders I want to invite you to visit our club and consider joining. We meet on the 1st & 3rd Sundays of most months at the Children's Museum in Oak Ridge. We're open to all ages and have members ranging from 9 to 80. Annual dues are only $25. There are a several members who live in the Vonore area, so if transportation is a problem I'm sure we can arrange something. Our next meeting is January 7th. We'll get together around 2 pm and have a short business meeting at 5 pm. Come out and see our set up. If you need transportation or have any questions feel free to call me.

Larry Burkholder - (865) 408-9903
Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 AM

When is the next open house? I would love to come to it. I just got into model RR and I am beginning to really get into it. I bought a HO Bachman Thomas the train set for my son who is 3 for Christmas and I think I like it more than he does. I lived in Oak Ridge for 5 years and recently moved to Hardin Valley. I came to the Children's Museum about 2 weeks ago and loved the set up you guys have there. Please let me know

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 01-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Jeremy,

We post our KAMR Club gathering times and other events on the web site calendar. However, we will be at the museum Sunday the 21st unlocking the club door around noonish. Our club door is around the end of the museum to the right of the caboose. Would love to have you re-visit as our guest (and potential member?). If interested in joining the club take a look at the Membership posting and download the form.

If you need additional information let me know. You can directly contact me via e-mail: hmcelhoe@aol.com
Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I hope to be there this sunday around 12ish myself.

Jeremy
Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bighead98565 Send a message via Yahoo to Bighead98565

i have a qustion way off u're topic. have u ever herd of the burlington cars for trains? i was wondering if any of u know if they still make them......