Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums  

Go Back   Knoxville Area Model Railroaders Forums > KAMR Talk > Large Scale Division
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2006, 10:31 PM

CSME live steam pics

I just got back from Dunlap, TN.
- Andrew
Attached Images

Last edited by nickco201 : 06-08-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Re: CSME live steam pics

I for one would like to go. This will be a good meeting topic to get a show of hands for interest in a KAMR field trip.

I still think that the top lip of your new gondola sure looks like a clip-on cup holder will fit right to it. Not to mention it looks like there's plenty of room for a recliner. The engineer looks a bit goofy but the rolling stock is looking good.

Was there some discussion on the pulling capacity of that 2-10-0?

One interesting note from my recent vacation was that I was told that a common track gauge of live steamers in New England is 7.25 inches vs 7.5 inches around here. This was per conversations with our good buddy Neal of Neal's N-Gauging Trains in New Hampshire. He has a backyard railroad covering his and his fathers property in Hampton, NH. Sadly it was not in running order when we visited due to recent storm damage.

Great pic's and thanks for posting.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Re: CSME live steam pics

Bruce-
I believe between Oct 20-22 would be a good time to visit. That is the club's fall meet. Thats when there will be the most locomotives and such. We probably won't be back down to Dunlap until then, but if we go before then you are welcome to follow us down.
Cup holders would be fine..... when you engineer and produce a few "scale" cup holders I will be happy install them.... I have already bought two seats with backs for the gondola. I just haven't installed them. I am also going to add a cooler in the caboose.
The 2-10-0 is new, the owner has only had it for a few weeks, so he hasn't really ran it enogh to know that it can pull. He did say he couldn't make it slip when pulling 5 hoppers and 2 gondolas and a riding car on 4% grades though. Although thats not much of a load. I know a guy who has a Pennsy H-9 2-8-0 that is very similar to the 2-10-0 except it is a 2-8-0. He says the man who owned it before he did pulled 47 cars with it.
The green 4-6-2 is a strong puller too. It is a little bit more " slippery" because of its large 10in drivers, but when it digs in it will really haul.
In New England and europe it is 7.25 track, the rest of the U.S. is 7.50. I am not completely sure of the reason for the difference, and I wouldn't want to tell you the wrong thing. Some locomotive have wide enough wheels to run on either, but this is uncommon.
See ya soon!
Later..
Andrew
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Smile Re: CSME live steam pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by McToots
I for one would like to go. This will be a good meeting topic to get a show of hands for interest in a KAMR field trip.

I still think that the top lip of your new gondola sure looks like a clip-on cup holder will fit right to it. Not to mention it looks like there's plenty of room for a recliner. The engineer looks a bit goofy but the rolling stock is looking good.

Was there some discussion on the pulling capacity of that 2-10-0?

One interesting note from my recent vacation was that I was told that a common track gauge of live steamers in New England is 7.25 inches vs 7.5 inches around here. This was per conversations with our good buddy Neal of Neal's N-Gauging Trains in New Hampshire. He has a backyard railroad covering his and his fathers property in Hampton, NH. Sadly it was not in running order when we visited due to recent storm damage.

Great pic's and thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting your pictures. I would be interested in making a fall trip.